UK & EU – For professional and institutional investors only
Switzerland – this is an advertising document for professional and institutional clients as defined by the Swiss Financial Services Act only
Recession, what recession?!
Risk assets have enjoyed a stellar start to the year as price increases continued to slow in December whereas data in January turned more positive.
There are only three possible outcomes from here:
1.The Federal Reserve have tightened the perfect amount and orchestrated a soft landing
2.They have tightened too much already and a hard landing lies ahead
3.They have not tightened enough and rates will be ‘higher for longer’
Price action over the past months can be attributed to investors’ views as too which of these scenarios is most likely. It is clear that the overwhelming consensus is that, for the first time in their history, the Federal Reserve have managed to orchestrate a soft landing, to the extent that opinion has begun to even shift from shallow recession to no recession at all.
Equity and bond markets have enjoyed significant rallies this year as a result, whilst implied volatilities have collapsed.
The Fund decreased by 0.6% in January.
Unsurprisingly, given the collapse in implied rates volatility, the rates volatility strategies were the biggest detractors. The market now not only prices a pause, but a pivot in the second half of the year. Levels of implied volatility have fallen back to where they were before the invasion of Ukraine, and given the backdrop of strong demand, a Chinese reopening that is beginning in earnest, robust employment, and continued deglobalisation, rates volatility looks mispriced once more. Added to this, the premia itself has increased due to the steeper term structure after the falls at the back end of the curve.
The other significant detractor were the CDS positions. The Fund, in its protection bucket, holds significant exposure to CDS. The buoyancy in markets and heavy falls in volatility have also been accompanied by a significant tightening of credit spreads to the extent that they also are back to the levels they were at the beginning of last year.
The Fund’s commodity and FX strategies provided some positive performance over the month. In particular, the commodity strategies are set to benefit from any demand weakness brought on if conditions worsen throughout the year.
The market is increasingly confident that the Federal reserve have managed to orchestrate a soft landing. Whilst this might be the case, purely on the balance of probabilities it is less likely than the other outcomes of a hard landing or the need for higher rates for longer. Investors should note that in all previous rate rise cycles, soft landing type conditions have been experienced at some point, after all, you need to at least pass through those types of conditions before heading elsewhere. Let us hope we have reached our final destination.
|Hong Kong 50||10.4%||10.4%|
|US Equity Income||6.2%||6.2%|
– This document has been issued and approved as a financial promotion by Fortem Capital Limited for the purpose of section 21 of the Financial Services and Markets Acts 2000. Fortem Capital Limited registration number 10042702 is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 755370.
– This document is intended for Professional Investors, Institutional Clients and Advisors and should not be communicated to any other person.
– The information has been prepared solely for information purposes only and is not an offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell the product.
– Data is sourced from Fortem Capital Limited and external sources. The data is as at the date of this document and has been reviewed by Fortem Capital Limited.
– Information, including prices, analytical data and opinions contained within this document are believed to be correct, accurate and derived from reliable sources as at the date of the document. However, no representation or warranty, expressed or implied is made as to the correctness, accuracy or validity of such information.
– Fortem Capital Limited assumes
no responsibility or
liability for any errors, omissions or inaccuracy with respect to the information contained within this document.
– All price and analytical data included in this document is
intended for indicative purposes only and is as at the date
of the document.
– The information within this document does not take into account the specific investment objective or financial situation of any person. Investors should refer to the final documentation and any prospectus to ascertain all of the risks and terms associated with these securities and seek independent advice, where necessary, before making any decision to buy or sell.
– The product may not be offered, sold, transferred or delivered directly or indirectly in the United States to, or for the account or benefit of, any U.S. Person.
– The Fortem Capital Alternative Growth Fund is a Sub-Fund of Skyline, an open-ended investment company with variable capital incorporated on 1 June 2010 with limited liability under the laws of Ireland with segregated liability between Funds. The Company is authorised in Ireland by the Central Bank of Ireland pursuant to the UCITS Regulations.
“NOTICE TO INVESTORS DOMICILED OR RESIDENT IN SWITZERLAND – The interests in the UCITS Fund and any related services, information and opinions described or referenced in this document are not, and may not be, offered or marketed to or directed at persons in Switzerland (a) that do not meet the definition of “qualified investor" pursuant to the Swiss Federal Act on Collective Investment Schemes of 23 June 2006 (“CISA") (“Non-Qualified Investors"), or (b) that are high net worth individuals (including private investment structures established for such high-net worth individuals if they do not have professional treasury operations) that have opted out of customer protection under the Swiss Federal Financial Services Act of 15 June 2018 (“FinSA") and that have elected to be treated as “professional clients" and “qualified investors" under the FinSA and the CISA, respectively (“Elective Qualified Investors").
In particular, none of the information provided in this document should be construed as an offer in Switzerland
for the purchase or sale of the interests or any related services, nor as advertising in Switzerland for the interests or any related services, to or directed at Non-Qualified Investors or Elective Qualified Investors. Circulating or otherwise providing access to this document or offering, advertising or selling the interests or any related services to Non-Qualified Investors or Elective Qualified Investors may trigger, in particular, approval requirements and other regulatory requirements in Switzerland.
This document does not constitute a prospectus pursuant to Articles 35 et seqq. FinSA and may not fulfil the information standards established thereunder. No key information document pursuant to Swiss law has been established for the interests. The interests will not be listed or admitted to trading on a Swiss trading venue and, consequently, the information presented in this document may not fulfil the information standards set out in the relevant trading venue rules."